Sunday, August 24, 2008

Google yourself to write an autobiography

I recently read a news article about Janis Ian, folk singer, appearing at the Schwenksville Folk Festival and that she published an autobiography. She's the same age as me, but lived a very different life (cocaine with Jimi Hendrix?,I wouldn't want to write about that!). I never listened to her music (Society's Child), it was deeply poetic and the words just didn't make sense to me.

Janis Ian said she had to work hard to get her facts straight, and she did a lot of research especially Googling herself. But I wouldn't place complete trust in the Internet, and already some old time friends are refuting her memories (or should I say her Googled memories).

It would seem that with these blogs, our autobiographies have begun. And they're filled with 'good stories' about friends, families, fun stuff.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20080814_Janis_Ian__The_singer_now_also_storyteller.html

Barb

1 comment:

nikki said...

Janis Ian is also the name of a character in the movie Mean Girls...Wonder if it's just coincidence or intentional?

On another note, I am not google-able. The closest it gets is another Nicole Crupi from North Jersey that currently attends the University of Connecticut.